Exploring the Common and Technical Types of Blades Available
Posted by Knives Deal on 3/16/2020
Knives are classified into several distinct types and categories. In a similar way, their blades are also available in a number of distinct types. These types are either based on their shape or size.
However, despite this commonly understandable basis of their segregation not many people are aware of it.
Isn't it ironic? How can a buyer ignore this valuable information after all? If you also stand in a cue of this who didn't know this, let us inform you. Simply go through this article once. It has all that you may need to know about the types of blades.
So, without wasting any second of your precious time, let's proceed towards our primary topic of discussion.
Usually, a layman classifies a blade depending upon its thickness or length. This is a general way of determining the different types of knives currently available in the worldwide market.
The types of blades identified using this formula are listed below.
1. Long Blade:The knives that exhibit a blade length of more than 4.7 inches are generally referred to as long blade knives.Their blades are suited to perform tasks that one can perform with a blade length lesser than this. These are preferred by professional fighters and are not advised for your day-to-day knife needs.
2. Short Blade:Blades that are less than 4.7 inches long are considered as short blades in most parts of the world.These blades are ideal for your cutting and slicing needs. These are also preferred everyday carry pocket knives.Most individuals find it easier to carry and use these without any reluctance or hesitation.
3. Thin Blade:A blade can be as thin as 0.35mm. Yes, you have read it right. These thin blades are currently available in the world wide weapon market.Buyers love it because the thin blade is relatively more precise at fulfilling your cutting and slicing needs.Therefore, the next time you step out for shopping the best knives around you, don’t kit forget to keep this thing in your mind.
4. Thick Blade:Different kinds of knives exhibit a different minimum and maximum blade thickness. But, 3.5mm thickness is usually the maximum thickness of a blade that you can easily find in a market near you.Nevertheless, thick blades are not much stable and thus, a balanced thickness is preferable.
5. Serrated Blade:This type of blade is most commonly found on cutting tools. A knife that exhibits a serrated blade is worth it for all your cutting and slicing needs.People sometimes also refer to this blade as a sawtooth or a dentated blade.Another interesting thing is that these can cut almost everything and anything. From cutting wood to cloth and paper, these are phenomenal.
6. Butter Blade or Round Edged Blade:Another most popular type of blades is a round edge blade. It is also popularly known as a butter blade.It is because such blades are mostly used for spreading butter, jams, sauces, cream, and spread on cakes or toasts.They make these tasks easier and better because these are usually less sharp than other types of blades.
Technical Types of Blades:
Below, let us tell you some technical types of blades:
- Trailing Point Curved Blade:
These blades are well-suited to skinning knives. These basically don’t add on to the weight of the knife and provide a larger surface area for slicing or slashing.These are more commonly used by butchers and are counted among the most stylish blades available today.
- Drop Point Blade:
The class of this blade is splendid. It is essentially found in Swiss army pocket knives. It basically has a leaf-like shape.You may also think of it as a convex blade that ends at a sharp pointed edge. Experts reveal that such blades are suited to piercing only.Don’t miss out on the top 5 most advantageous military knives!
- Sheepsfoot Curved Blade:
It is a part of most of the cutting tools that we usually use in the kitchen for our day-to-day needs.It is basically a flat blade from its back. The front side blade is sharp and slightly curves to meet at a sharp point.Such blades are used for chopping, pickling, and slicing. Flatback allows the user to put pressure on the blade without worrying about any injury.Conversely, this blade makes the knife heavier than usual.
- Spey Point Blade:
This is among the most unusual types of blades. Most of you must have never seen this blade anywhere around you.These are actually exclusively crafted for spaying animals. These are also exceptionally good at skinning animals. The front of this blade is similar to a Sheepsfoot blade.However, it has a sword-like edge that is pointed and sharp from both of its sides. This, in fact, gives this blade is distinctive beauty and charm. It further aids its usage in our lives.
- Clip Point Blade:
Clip point blades have an uncanny resemblance with Sheepsfoot blades. These are also curved and meet at a pointed edge.But, the backside of these blades looks more like a claw or a parrots nail. It is also counted among the most unknown types of blades in the world.This shape multiplies the overall effectiveness of the tool and gives it its distinctive abilities. Critics have declared these blades ideal for piercing, picking and cutting.
It is therefore evident that the utility of knives defines the type of blade that they must exhibit. So, are you now ready to choose the right one for yourself?