People might ask you how you close your pocket knife
. Well, the answer to this question depends on the type of knife you have.
There is a part of the knife that makes sure the blade remains opened. You need to move this part out of the way so that you can keep your blade in the closed position. For doing this, you should also learn how your knife operates.
However, in this article, we are going to describe a complete guide on how to close a pocket folding knife
. Click here to know why do you need a pocket knife!
Common Types of Knife Locks And Their Closing Method:
As we have told you above that the method of closing a pocket knife is totally dependent on the kind of knife. The locking mechanism used in them will vary according to their models.
So, below we have come up with different types of locking mechanisms that can help you understand the type of your knife. And then, you can learn how to close it.
1. Slip Joint Lock:
Commonly in the folding knives, a slip joint lock mechanism is found. These knives are not able to hold heavy-duty tasks. This is why these knives are carried for lightweight and everyday routine tasks.
How to Close A Slip Joint Knife?
You can easily close a slip point joint pocket knife. There is no complicated method and you just have to apply pressure at the backside of the blade and it will be closed.
2. Frame Lock:
With this locking mechanism, the outer part of the frame does working as the lock that holds the knife open. When the blade is pulled out, it gets locked automatically.
The part of the frame that contains the lock inserts itself behind the blade that will prevent the knife from closing.
How to Close A Frame Lock Knife?
For closing a knife that features a frame lock mechanism, you need to apply pressure using your thumb on the locking part of the frame (the specific section that is behind the blade).
Once this part is out of the way, you can easily push down your blade in the closed position.
3. Liner Lock:
A liner lock mechanism is the same as the frame lock. The major difference between them is that the liner lock contains an inner liner, by which the knife remains open.
How to Close A Liner Lock Folding Knife?
The procedure for closing the blade is also very similar. But, for this, you don’t have to put any frame aside. Instead, you need to look for an inner liner that is located at the bottom of the handle.
There is a tab located on the liner which you should push aside using your thumb, near the outside scale. This makes your blade free from the tang and you can easily push it down into your desired closed position.
A Lockback blade and its mechanism are a little different from other types. It possesses a metal spine that is on the top of the handle, as well as, it includes a notch on the backside of the blade for the purpose of locking the knife into place.
The spine is used for applying pressure so that the spine remains locked into the notch and stops the knife from closing.
How to Fold Lock-back Pocket Knife?
To close a knife that comes with a Lock-back mechanism, you have to press down on the spine by utilizing your finger cut on the top of the handle. It will release the spine from the notch and you can easily close the different types of pocket knife
Some Safety Tips for Using Any Pocket Knife:
If you have got knowledge about the opening and closing mechanisms of your knife, it would be very easy for you to close your knife.
Well, it is time to look at a few tips that you should keep in mind while using your pocket knife:
- Before using your knife, you should do a proper inspection of your knife. Always clean your knife and check for any damage, rust, or any other broken part that can make your knife cause injuries.
- When you buy your first pocket knife, you should practice it properly. Try to practice of opening and closing of the knife. Moreover, you should adjust your grip on the handle of your knife. Practice on your knife in a calm and quiet place so that you don’t get distracted by anything.
- After every usage, you should lubricate and clean your blade. Because a dirty or even wet knife can cause rust on the blade and it is dangerous for you and your blade as well. Dry your knife properly after cleaning.
- Every bladed item should be used with precautions. As every knife is dangerous and even the smallest blade can cause injuries, so be careful while holding a knife.
- Take proper care of your knife and learn to use it properly and safely. When you close your blade, be sure that all of your fingers are not near to the blade from where the blade will swing toward the handle.
Thus, closing a pocket knife is not a difficult task to do. You just have to understand the type of knife and the type of lock that makes your blade remain opened. If you understand these things, there is no difficulty in closing a knife.